Each month the club holds a competition to provide an opportunity for members to get constructive feedback on their work.
Entries are usually judged by the guest speaker on competition night. The judge is given a number of weeks to view the prints and Digital Projected Images (DPIs) before club night. This is why competition entries must be submitted at the previous month’s meeting.
How to enter prints and DPIs
- Check the entry date for the competition you’re entering: prints and DPIs generally need to be submitted at the preceding month’s meeting. See the footnotes on the table overleaf for exceptions.
- Ensure your prints and DPI files comply with the club’s regulations. See below for details.
- Print off and fill in a competition entry PDF form (download here), or Word Doc form (download here).
- Send your DPI entries for competition and DPI files for all print entries to firstname.lastname@example.org by the previous month’s meeting at the latest.
- The DPI files for print entries are only used for viewing purposes on club night, and are not sent to the judge.
- Bring your prints and entry form to the main meeting in the month before competition night and hand them to the steward.
For presentation and practical reasons, prints must be mounted for competitions. The photograph can be stuck directly onto a mount board or, alternatively, a pre-cut or shop-bought mount with a window can be used to protect and display the print. Both methods are acceptable.
- Maximum print / mount size: 40cm x 50cm (16in x 20in).
- Minimum print / mount size: 12.5cm x 18cm (5in x 7in).
The back of each print should be marked “TOP” to show the correct orientation of the image. All prints should be labelled with the corresponding DPI file name,
e.g. 356_201405_Raining Cats And Dogs_P
As well as submitting the print, a DPI version must also be sent to email@example.com and must comply with DPI competition rules (see DPI rules below). These DPIs are used for viewing purposes on club night only.
- JPEG images only
- Maximum height = 1080 pixels
- Maximum width = 1920 pixels
- Maximum file size = 1.5Mb
File names must be as follows:
- Member’s competition section i.e. A or B
- Membership number e.g. 944
- Year and month of competition e.g. 201802
- Short Title
- Section code i.e. DPIA for A section DPIB for B section
- Put underscore ( _ ) between each of the above
- Where the DPI is for a print entry, the section code is P. Prints are entered in only one category with the A and B groups competing together.
- B944_201709_The Sunset_DPIB
- 365_201703_Home Sweet Home_P
We have a document that gives a detailed explanation how to submit images.